Why Prenatal Massage?
This therapeutic massage focuses on the special needs of the mother to be as her body goes through some of the most dramatic changes of her body’s life. It enhances the function of the muscles and joints, improves circulation and body tone and relieves mental and physical fatigue.
The non-invasive approach of prenatal massage can ease discomfort associated with pregnancy, can help the mother-to-be prepare for labour and give her vital nurturing emotional support.
Prenatal massage offers a wide range of physiological, emotional and psychological benefits such as:
- Alleviating stress on weight bearing joints.
- Assists in remedying many of the common discomforts experienced during pregnancy, muscular discomforts, lower back pain, upper back pain, headaches, leg cramps, sciatica, stiffness, tension and knots, carpal tunnel syndrome, heartburn, acid reflux, fatigue, nasal congestion, shortness of breath.
- Increases blood circulation, which provides more oxygen and nutrients to both mother and baby and stimulates the lymph system, thereby increasing immunity and removal of toxins.
- Stabilizes hormonal levels and helps relieve depression or anxiety caused by hormonal changes.
- Soothes and relaxes the nervous system by releasing endorphins into the mother’s body. As a result, the expectant mother feels more relaxed and at ease, which will help her sleep easier and deeper.
- Assists in maintaining good posture and adjusting to a changing alignment caused by the baby’s increasing weight. Massage increases muscle tone and flexibility, enhancing the ability to carry the extra weight while also relieving aches and pains, leg cramps and muscle spasms.
- Offers a natural, safe, drug-free alternative choice for pain relief, since taking medications are limited during a pregnancy.
- Alongside regular massage the mother-to-be can practice self massage and stretching sequences.
- In addition to the physical benefits, prenatal massage provides expecting women with the emotional support and nurturing touch provided by nonsexual human touch and energy.
Pregnant clients are encouraged to schedule fortnightly appointments, however as often as can be afforded is of course better than nothing. Towards the end of the pregnancy, weekly appointments are recommended for maximum benefit.
To book your appointment for prenatal massage or for more information, just get in touch!